Using Culinary Hill’s recipe for this unusual salad using uncooked ramen noodles and raw bok choy, I changed it up a bit to suit my needs and tastes. Super flavorful and delicious, it makes for a really awesome light lunch or side dish for dinner.
I have a handful of killer salad recipes, and this one will definitely be added to the rotation. I subscribe to a weekly CSA Farm Box, and this week’s fresh veggie selection came with a few small heads of boy choy. This is one of those greens I just cannot get into for stir frys and soups, and I had no idea what to do to use these until I came across this recipe.
Crunchy and delicious with the umami of the dressing, the cruciferous boy choy makes a great salad base because it will not wilt like lettuce does, and so you can enjoy leftovers of this salad where the dressing will continue to deepen in flavor as it sits!
For the Salad
- 6 small bulbs boy choy, finely sliced
- 1-2 scallions, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1-2 radishes, chopped
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 3 Tbs sesame seeds
- 1/4c peanuts or nuts of choice
- 1 package dry ramen noodles (no seasoning packet)
- (You can use any combination of fresh veggies you want, so feel free to add any additional ingredients you love: fresh corn, tofu, bell peppers, onions, carrots, etc)
For the Dressing
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1/4c olive oil or toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chili oil (omit if you don’t like any heat. This just gives a slight heat, but not necessary)
- 1 Tbs soy sauce or Tamara
- Break or crush up ramen noodles into small pieces. Place on a baking tray with peanuts and sesame seeds and spray with oil mister or cooking spray.
- Place tray in 350 degree oven for a few minutes until nuts, seeds and noodles are brown and toasted. Make sure to check often so they do not burn.
- Set tray aside to cool while you are making dressing.
- Combine all of dressing ingredients in bowl and let sit while chopping vegetables.
- Chop and combine all veggies and toss together in bowl. Add in cooled noodles, nuts, and seeds, coat with dressing, and toss all together. Enjoy!