You know the drill… another day at home, another boring meal! Wrong! There really is nothing boring about brunch, even if you cannot go out with friends! Cheesy eggs, tangy avocado, and luscious potato hash: sounds like a great morning to me! Especially if you pair it with a mimosa or glass of bubbly! This brunch hits all the notes and provides a real comfy weekend meal.
Using the discarded peels of the potatoes I peeled for the Potato Bread, you can use all the delicious bits and get a really filling, luxurious meal. Dress it up or down, sub or add any of your own favorite flavors and you will not be disappointed!
- Peels from 3-4 large potatoes, or equivalent
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 eggs (1 per person or more if you desire)
- 1 avocado
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- splash(es) of green tabasco sauce
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- ~1/2 tsp thyme
- Add about 1 Tbs of olive oil to medium skillet on medium high heat. Let heat until pan is very hot, and then add shallot/onion and garlic, sautéing until golden brown. Stir often.
- Once onions and garlic are browning, add potato peels, a pinch of salt and pepper, and thyme. Let potatoes cook without stirring until bottom layer browns and forms a crunchy layer. At this point, stir potatoes/onions and leave to continue to brown other potatoes. Repeat until the majority of the potatoes are browned and crusty.
- You can use a separate pan to cook the eggs while potatoes are cooking, or simply move over potatoes to one side of pan and crack the eggs into pan to fry. If doing more than two eggs, you might prefer to use two pans; I simply hate having more dishes to do!
- Cook eggs either sunny side up or fried over. Add cheese on top of each egg, cover to let cheese melt.
- While eggs are cooking, halve and spoon an entire avocado into a bowl. Mash until lumpy or smooth, add a pinch of salt and a few splashes of Tobasco sauce.
- Divide potatoes on two plates, place egg(s) on top, and top with half the avocado mash. Enjoy!